Beautiful 1911 40ft classic yacht for sale
‘Agate’ is an International Eight Metre built to Lloyds specification by Grenier le Marchand in le Havre in 1911 but in the UK since 1922.
Built for the Marquis de Cussy, who specified a boat to take heavy weather, she was designed by Gaston Grenier, who later designed the Olympic One Design for the 1924 Paris (‘Chariots of Fire’) Olympics. She had a distinguished early racing career, see ‘Articles’.
Honduras Mahogany planking on oak frames. Originally gaff rigged, she was altered to Bermudan rig in 1935, and converted for cruising in 1975. She has forepeak, forecabin, head, saloon, galley, two quarter berths, self-draining cockpit, and lazarette, so a maximum of six berths, but comfortably four.
Well maintained and with beautiful lines, her hull structure is possibly in the most original condition of any early First Rule Eight Metre still afloat, with all her original planking, nearly all her original frames, original mast (recently beautifully rebuilt), and original but shortened boom.
Length on deck 40ft, 12.2m
Beam 7’ 8”, 2.34m
Displacement c. 5.5 tonnes
Lead long keel
· new 3-reef main and furling foresail by Owen Sails in 2014
· Volvo ‘2001’ 9HP single cylinder engine, offset 3-blade propeller
· DSC VHF with high power aerial and low loss cables and connectors
· manual and electric bilge pumps with float switch
· Garmin 555 plotter, swing bracket for 10” tablet, vintage compass
· wind and depth instruments
· powerful windlass with wireless remote
· Knox super high holding power anchor, 100m chain, kedge anchor
· marine WC
· electric demand pumped fresh and salt water, double sink with macerator pumped drain
· flexible water tank 150 litres
· fuel tank 40 litres, = c. 60 hours motoring
· Wallas diesel hob – no gas on board
· Waeco fridge
· diesel hot air
· entirely LED navigation, anchor and accommodation lights
· FM, DAB, CD and aux player
· engine and leisure batteries, shore power, built-in intelligent battery charger and 1 KW inverter
· Zodiac inflatable, 12v pump, electric outboard and Li-ion battery
· life raft (requires service), life jackets, jackstays, fire extinguishers, fire and CO detector, life belt, danbuoy
· fenders and warps
Full history and documentation, survey August 2020.
Afloat and in commission on the West Coast of Scotland. Sails like a dream!